On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  If the outside surface temperature really is 1400 deg C, then the outside
> surface material should be incandescent white. It does not matter what the
> inside temperature is. All materials glow with the same incandescent color
> at a given temperature. That is what the textbooks claim.
>
> I doubt any light is shining through the alumina, but even if it is, the
> light from incandescence of the outside alumina material itself should be
> white.

​ok, I now see your point. It doesn't matter if the r
eactor is also phosphorescent or fluorescent or some other escent, as long
as the *surface* is heated to a temperature of ~1400C then the *surface*
should appear white...according to this "subjective" colour temperature
chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_radiation#Subjective_color_to_the_eye_of_a_black_body_thermal_radiator
​

Compare it to this chart which I presume is the "true" colour temperature:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-body_radiation#mediaviewer/File:Blackbody-colours-vertical.svg

Harry​