Curcumin is a concentrated extract of turmeric.  It's the molecule that
give turmeric it's yellow color.   Think yellow mustard.  The yellow is the
curcumin from the turmeric used to color the mustard.

I did some research into Curcumin when a relative was diagnosed with the
big C.  In a few studies, it has produced incredible results with liver
cancer where tumors the size of softballs have vanished over a period of 3
months with curcumin taken at an 8gm/day range.   I don't think the patent
applies to Curcumin itself, but to the method to get it to absorb in the
blood stream.  The biggest problem with curcumin is that it is hydrophobic,
and will not dissolve in water.   It needs some sort of assistance to
digest and it needs to break down in the small intestines where it can be
bio-absorbed and cross in the blood stream.   It should be taken with
black-pepper and some kind of oil base.  Black pepper helps in the
bio-absorption.    I think blending 4gm in Vanilla-Ensure with a 1/4
teaspoon (A big pinch) black-pepper works well for a morning/evening dose
and the ensure has enough fats and oils to get it across the stomach
without being damaged by the stomach acids.  If you can warm the Ensure
concoction that will help coat the curcumin.
To avoid the black pepper many curcumin supplements add piperine (the
essence of black pepper).   CuraMed makes an liquid gel cap 750mg where the
curcumin is infused in a turmeric extract oil that is supposed to have the
best bio-absorption rates. I recommend it over all the others.  You still
need about 8 of these tablets a day for months to really do battle.   I'm
not an Doctor by the way but reading up on it sure was convincing.  I
encourage anyone interested to do the same.

Sadly, my relative didn't persist with regiment for more than two weeks and
has since passed on.