I would believe that the probable outcome circa early 90s but to presume
Gates is so out of touch with the priesthood that after 25 years he is
still unaware of their canon law stretches credulity to the breaking point.

On top of that we have the Lowell Wood connection
<http://www.e-catworld.com/2014/11/17/lowell-wood-and-lenr/> to Gates.  No
I think Gates is finally realizing that his legacy as a humanitarian may be
in jeopardy if he doesn't get out in front of this particular parade and
"lead".