This might seem a haphazard or poorly thought out question, but it has
been long begged by science fiction, and I'm very intrigued to hear
answers from people who might know how it would be possible...

Forget everything you know about the COD format.

Say, I have a small online world, which looks something like a pyramid
on top of a hill. Consider the center of the base of this pyramid as
"The Origin Point". Say the extent of the square-shaped land area in
my world ranges from the virtual X/Y values of +1 to -1. (I know
nothing about the values of the current "pyramid" map, but follow me
on a tangent here...)

After that, say I allow avatars into my world, maybe they look like
birds of some sort.

Now... and this is where it gets tricky... Say I give them a command
that allows them to 'fly', or, retain the same Z value, while they
navigate across the X and Y axis...

Would it be possible to allow my world to have near-infinite values
for X and Y (At least, as high as modern floating-point variables go)?
Say; If two avatars float in an opposite direction for hours on end,
for the span of eight, sixteen, thirty-two hours... How would the
world need to be programmed so that, assuming they turn around 180 and
float back, it would take them both exactly the same amount of time to
get back to their original meeting place?

If Penguin A created his own land-mass 28 hours from the meeting
point, how could I store it and retain the data in the server,
assuming said Penguin is capable of finding this point again?

-Steve