On 09/03/07, Peter Amstutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This made me smile:
http://slgames.wordpress.com/2007/03/05/alternatives-to-second-life/

``Virtual Object System - Worthy of note purely because they share the
dream of creating "The Metaverse".  There's not really a lot to see yet,
but the reason is that they're taking a very "from the ground up"
approach.  IF this every lauches, it will end up being fast and
reliable.  Their wiki is active, so it's worth keeping an eye on.  If
they every decide to go for VC funding, they could crush everything
else.''

There is also a comment on the blog post which clarifies a few points
the original author made -- whoever "CrystalShard Foo" is, thanks :-)

Regarding the last point (the funding, not the crushing), I am currently
working on writing up development and design plans and working towards
the actual proposal we will present to potential funding sources.  If
anyone has any special experience writing proposals or working with
investors, please contact me.  Since we're going for a distinctly
nontraditional business model (open source, open development, community
involvement early and as much as possible) some of this is uncharted
territory...

Hi, I am a bit behind on these emails so may be saying things already
covered but,
One thing that may help:
We once got some funding from our telco mainly *because* we were open source
etc.
They wanted  technology that would look attractive to businesses  to take up
and
the low cost of an open tech, it's long term maintainability were some
strong points in favour.
The pitch was to offer technology that would lead to higher use/take up of
broadband for
rich media applications. This helps broadband businesses to make money.

The other thing is that other businesses can now see examples of business
models
that started off offering free technology and now make money from some added
value/premium accounts etc.
SL, google earth, ... etc.

chris

[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]
[ VOS: Next Generation Internet Communication][ http://interreality.org ]
[ http://interreality.org/~tetron ][ pgpkey:  pgpkeys.mit.edu  18C21DF7 ]

http://www.planet-earth.org
http://ping.com.au
--
It be a great secret: there be more truth at the centre.