Ok, things have been a bit quiet lately, so I want to let everyone know
what's going on with VOS.

The first bit of news is that starting in July, I will be able to
dedicate half of my time (20-30 hours a week) to VOS development.  I
have made an arrangement with my current employer to work part time, so
this works out well for everyone.

Second, I am continuing to do design work on s5, and have spent some
coding time doing prototyping certain crucial features to better
understand them.  I've made some progress in understanding how better to
structure control flow in the presence of asynchronous requests (in s5,
*all* requests will be asynchronous) by using continuations and futures.
I'm also investigating some ideas for a new security design, which I
hope to write about to the list shortly.

Third, s5 is going to use a Python-based build system called "Scons",
which I described in my email about build systems a little while ago.  I
hope that this will enable a degree of automation and cross-platform
support that is impossible with autotools.  I've spent some time hacking
on it and I'm comfortable with it, and it is under active development so
it seems like a safe bet.

Fourth, my intention is that come July, I will hit the ground running
with implementing s5 -- you will start seeing real progress and not just
talk.  My hope is that in as little as a month or two, I can have enough
of the s5 kernel written that other people interested in helping can
contribute.

Fifth, I've set up a task tracking system called XPlanner at
http://interreality.org/xplanner (login: guest, password: guest).  You
can view a detailed breakdown of our development roadmap, and see both
how long we expect things to take and what progress (if any) has been
made.

I think that about covers it.  Comments?

--
[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]