i'll be putting bed, the "binary editor" onto sourceforge pretty soon.

some of the code is pure hack, so i need to clean it up in places.  some
functionality still needs to be written.

if anyone wants to collaborate on a joint effort, contact me offlist.

it's written in C using ncurses, although it shouldn't be difficult to port
it to something like gtk.  i've kept most of the UI functions in their own
file, so it should be straight forward to port to X using conditional
compiling in the makefile.

i've based it on the old "byte editors" of the 80's, but the keystrokes are
almost pure vi-like.

pete

ps- looking for advice.  i haven't finished the search functionality yet.
clearly, i'd like like to use vi's '/' as the search key.  the trouble is,
i'd like to do a search for "string", "hex pattern" and "decimal pattern".

my answer was to press '/' once for string, twice for hex, and thrice for
decimal.  it's kind of unwieldy though.  this forces the user to use
something like "control V" to search for any string beginning with a '/'.

what do people think?  is this too hackish?  is there a better way to specify
what kind of search to perform?  i'd really like to keep the vi-like '/' to
mean search.

--
"The following addresses had permanent fatal errors..."      [EMAIL PROTECTED]