On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:25:40PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > Well, I could do that of course, but getting modules.conf working
> > would seem more elegant to me.  This will work in the interim.
> >
> > I like knowing that most of my modules will be removed when they
> > haven't been used for a while, though - that's why I prefer
> > modules.conf.
>
> ahh.. ok, i see.
>
> are you on a debian box?   i don't think changes are actually made the
> modules.conf until you run update-modules (you're not supposed to write to
> this file according to the man page).
>
> if you're on redhat or mandrake, i don't think they actually do this,
> although things might have changed since the last time i looked at those
> distros.

I'm on RedHat.  Don't see why one would be concerned about directly
editing; it can't cause catastrophes that I'm aware of.  And I can't
find that notice on my manpage, or in the kernel docs (admittedly
outdated; the kernel docs still talk about kerneld, with a simple note
at the top saying that kerneld is no longer supported).

> also, check /etc/syslogd.conf to make sure that modprobe errors aren't being
> redirected to a file other than messages.

Other modprobe errors go to messages.

> if the module is even remotely
> trying to load, there HAS to be a record of it somewhere...

That's what I thought; and that means it's *not* trying to load.
Hence my problem.  I can't figure why reading from a char-15,0 would
result in a modprobe for char-major-15, but reading from char-13,0
wouldn't result in anything.

Micah