I'm trying to write a robust macro for literary-style fractions, in which the
numerator is superscript and the denominator is subscript around a slanted
line, not a strait line as in $\frac{1}{2}$. I came with:

        \def\frac#1#2{
                $^#1\!\!/\!\!_#2$
        }

which is fine except that the fraction is always set in roman even in an
italic block. I tried again:

        \def\frac#1#2{
                \raisebox{0.3ex}{\footnotesize{#1}}%
                $\!/\!\!%
                \raisebox{-0.3ex}{\footnotesize{#2}}
        }

except that there is now too much space between the denominator and the line
when set in roman and too little in italic.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to improve this.

--
Henry House