On 2004.01.12 14:25, Bill Kendrick wrote:

Okay, I had a feeling this would be asked, but I didn't realize it would only take a few DAYS for someone to ask it... :^)

Is there an easy, safe way to let people SSH out of a kiosk (e.g., the
one
I set up in Chamonix over the weekend)? e.g., for folks who prefer to
connect to their ISP (or UCD) server and run Mutt/Pine/etc. to check
e-mail.

I obviously don't want to just give away a bash prompt. :^)  I guess
an "xterm -e ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED]" (with those being asked via a KDE
kdialog or
something) might do.

Before I accidentally punch a gaping hole in the box, though, I
thought I'd
ask for suggestions here. ;^)

I assume this is a Debian box, other distributions should be no less flexible than what I'm about to explain though. In debian both ssh (the client) and sshd (the server) are in the same package (ssh).

*But* sshd doesn't need to be running to connect to a different computer by ssh, so you can modify the startup scripts to keep sshd from starting - hence the user can't log a local shell using by sshing to localhost. In distributions that separate ssh and sshd, you should install only the client package.

Now, you would like to make it easy to log in as any user. Instead of going ahead and creating your own script to take the user name, and host, I suggest you look at gnome-remote-shell in the gnome-networking package (sid) which does exactly as you describe wanting to do. Also look at kdessh (sid, woody, sarge). I recalling a gnome-based program for Gnome before Gnome2, but that's from my mandrake days and I can't find it in woody using packages.debian.org. There's also a gtk1.2 port of putty (sarge, sid).

Lots of choices. You shouldn't need to write your own version of anything.