On 2004.02.29 18:32, Mike Simons wrote:
On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 07:18:38PM -0800, Jim Lowman wrote:
Xfree86 4.4.0 does have support for the Radeon 9800 video card...
however it seems that XFree86 recently (Jan 29) decided to change the
license on the X server to be GPL incompatible.  Depending on how
the various distributions deal with with this it may take a while for
that card to work in most distros.

http://xfree86.org/legal/licenses.html
===
What about GPL-compatibility?

The 1.1 license is not GPL-compatible. To avoid new issues with
application programs that may be licensed under the GPL, the 1.1 licence
is not being applied to client side libraries.
===

How exactly does GPL incompatibility cause a problem for the distros?