Edward Elliott wrote:
I just wanted to contribute my successful novice experience. Last year I
struggled with getting the Gentoo 2.4 release to support my DVD and CDRW
drives. But just recently I reinstalled Gentoo with the new 2.6 kernel.
I enabled hotplug and installed K3B and it automatically recognized my
drives and worked with absolutely no extra effort on my part. No
fooling with fake SCSI defs or anything else. It just worked.

Now, that was a great user experience. This is the kind of thing that
will make 2.6 + KDE more popular as a desktop solution.

Hear hear!

The one advantage I have in Windows is that CDRW disc is recognized
as a valid drive by the file system. That allows me to read and write
files directly on it, using OpenOffice, or any other app. I have not
yet been able to get this enabled on Gentoo, even though I have RW defined in FSTAB for the CDRW device.

I think what you are talking about is udf packet writing. This appears to be possible in linux, but may take some effort. Take a look here: http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/packet.html. You need to patch and recompile the kernel, install some tools, and do some stuff in /dev. Since multisession writing meets most of my needs, I'm not overly motivated to check it out. Has anyone on this list successfully used udf packet writing in linux?

Jonathan