On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Paul wrote:

> I need to move my desktop from a (full) 10G drive to a (spare) 20G drive.
>
> The ideal results would be copy everything over, then run lilo on the
> new drive, then it would boot up looking just like the old one.

Nah... it doesn't work like that... unfortunately.

> Some googling found me an out of date HOWTO and a few sites with
> instructions that were a little vague, so I thought I would ask the experts.

It depends on the partition type.  As long as the HOWTO covers your
partition type (VFAT, EXT3, etc.), it should still be current.

> Has anybody done this?
>
> Is it easy - not to hard - increadibly difficult - don't even think
> about it?
>
> How do I do it - or better yet - a site with almost idiot proof
> instructions.

1. Assuming you still have the 10G hard drives on your computer, put the
20G in it.  Take off a CDROM drive if you don't have a spare connection or
space -- you'll be able to put it back in later.  Boot off of the 10G as
you normally do.

2. After boot, as root, make partitions on the 20G drive using `cfdisk`.
Format each partition using the proper program (mkfs.ext3 for EXT3, mkswap
for Linux swap partitions, mkfs.vfat for VFAT partitions, etc.)  Notes:

  - Make sure there's a tool to make the partition you need.  Some
    partition making tools aren't available under Linux (like NTFS)

  - If you got Windows, especially a later version of Windows, upgarding
    the partition gets a little complicated, especially with NTFS.  Post
    again and tell us if you got Windows98SE or later.

  - When you make the partitions, some installations require you to label
    each partition (/, /usr, /home, /usr/local, etc.) to get the
    bootloaders to recognize them magically.  You should do that now if
    your system requires it (You need it if you use Grub, or if your
    /etc/lilo.conf and/or /etc/fstab uses labels instead of the /dev
    device names.)  Use `cfdisk` to see what the labels are on your
    10G, and make the same labels on your 20G.  Make sure you label
    the partitions in the same order, so partition 1 on 10G has the
    same label as partition 1 on the 20G, 2 on 10G has the same label
    on 2 on 20G, etc.

3. Run `cp -a` to copy over all the files from the 10G to 20G, one
partition at a time.  Notes:

  - You MUST copy the corresponding partitions, so copy partition 1 on 10G
    to partition 1 on 20G, partition 2 on 10G to partition 2 on 20G,
    partition 3 on 10G to partition 3 on 20G, etc.  So when you plan out
    cfdisk in step #3, you'll need to keep that in mind.

  - Don't overwrite the lost+found directory on each partition.  If you
    write over one, delete it, and use `mklost+found` to create a new one.

  - While `cp -a * /destination` will copy over all the files in the
    working directory and its subdirectories, it won't copy over the
    hidden files.  So copy carefully.

4. Make a bootdisk using `mkboot` (no arguments).  Just in case, prepare a
bootable Linux CD, like Knoppix.

5. Turn off the computer.  Take the 10G out, and move to 20G to where the
10G was.  Reboot with the bootdisk or a bootable Linux CD.  If you boot
with a bootable Linux CD, after booting, run `chroot <20G's root
partition>`.

6. After you boot successfully, run `lilo`.  If you use Grub instead of
Lilo, run `grub-install` (I think.)

> What are the things that can go wrong?

Keep your 10G hard drive and don't write over it for about a month before
you do anything.  If you discover that something didn't copy over, you can
copy it over from the 10G drive.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim