Micah Cowan wrote:
Henry House wrote:

[Inkscape's] native format is a subset of SVG.

[] indicates modificiation of original quote.

IIRC, sodipodi, which I found out a few days ago became Inkscape(?), could read in any SVG and would preserve markup it didn't fully understand, even through modifications and changes.

I'm not actually sure about that: but I do remember using it to edit some hand-written SVG into which I had placed arrow-style line-endings. Sodipodi didn't understand the arrows, but didn't mess with 'em, either.

I just installed inkscape to check it out. It looks really nice; more inuitive editing than xfig. However, I primarily make vector drawings to import into latex documents. Xfig supports that very well, including ways to include latex math.

Jonathan