Richard Harke wrote:
On Friday 18 March 2005 16:12, Karsten M. Self wrote:

The history of secure applications development is largely divided into
two groups:

1. Those who anticipate hostile environments, design for scenarios in
   which no two components trust one another, and correctly implement
   failsafe, trust, integrity, and encryption procedures.

2. Those who've been the source of multiple compromises.

Paranoia pays off here. Safe practices pay off. Even those who _are_ paranoid and cautious suffer breakins (the good ones will let you know that this has happened). The truely frightening are those who deny the problem exists _and_ fail to recongize a compromise when they see it.

When I first installed firefox it refused to run. After googling about I found
the advice to do xhost +. Based on this thread I should have rejected the advice leaving me with two alternatives:

1:   download the firefox source and debug it.

2:   apt-get purge firefox  (followed by a nasty email to somewhere)