Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
On Fri 29 Apr 05, 10:46 AM, Jonathan Stickel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

My hat is off to anyone on this list who is actually handy with this
monstrosity.

Well, I think I'm rather handy with Xfig. It certainly does have a way of doing things that is quite different from most "drawing" programs. But once I figured out its quirks I actually like it. The only thing that gets to me is when typing in a box, the mouse cursor MUST stay in the box.

My hat's off to you. ;-)

I don't suppose you have any idea how to generate something that looks like
a mechanical spring (a coil)?  Can't find it in any libraries.

I can actually use Dia's inductor coil (a spring is an inductor of sorts).
But there are things I need in xfig that I can't do with Dia.  Dia is really
limited...

<snip>
Is it possible to use Dia's coil and turn it into a library element for xfig
(so I can scale it and all that good stuff).  That would make me really
really happy...

I'd forgotten about the library feature! Anyway, I found a spring in xfig: Electronic/Schematic/Coil. Also, I discovered that Dia exports in xfig format. So if you get something you like in Dia, including its libraries, you can export it to xfig. In particular, you can export a library object as xfig, then place it where xfig looks for libraries, and you have a new xfig library object!

HTH,
Jonathan