Bill Kendrick wrote:
So, last night I went to remind myself how fast Melissa's Thinkpad T20 was,
and when I did "cat /proc/cpuinfo" I saw ~204MHz, which is about 500MHz
slower than I remembered it being. :^)

I also saw "stepping: 3", so I guess the thing had kicked down a few speeds
for power consumption.  The thing is, it was plugged in at the time.
I tried with both the 'good' and 'bad' (doesn't hold a charge very long)
batteries, to no avail.

On my gentoo laptop, I have purposely installed something called
"powernowd". It works with the kernel modules "cpufreq_userspace" and "cpufreq_powersave" to scale the cpu speed to reduce power consumption. When I am idle, I get 498.387 Mhz. When I run something significant (e.g. glxgears), I get my full spec, 1196.131 Mhz. I'm not sure if this is related to your issue or not, but have you checked cpuinfo when running a full cpu load?

Jonathan