Mark K. Kim wrote:
On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 12:38:17PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:

I only recently noticed the "Startup" menu in my literally-screen-sized
insanity of an "All Programs" menu in XP.  (WhereTF is the categorization?
I am VERY glad I don't get this kind of crap under KDE! >:^( )

I went in there and took a few items out.  No idea how much of an improvement
it's been, though.

There's quite a few more ways a program can start besides from the
Startup menu.  Launch `msconfig` and disable anything you know you don't
want.  Doing that might have some side-effects... still looking into
that myself.

-Mark

Everthing in the startup tab of msconfig is technically optional for windows to operate. Now looking at the system services is another story, although there are several you can safely disable and some that you can set to manual so they only turn on when you want.
Example: Wireless is on be default wether or not you have a wireless card.

Alex