Bill Kendrick wrote:

Off-topic, but I've got a question:

I have McAfee security crap on my Windows XP laptop here at work.
(It includes a firewall which occasionally refuses to run due to
"Unknown error"; but seems to start working again after some random
self-update by McAfee, or some random Windows Update.  *grrr*)

I find it concerning that the firewall is NOT running unless I'm actually
_logged in_ to my/an account.

Why does the firewall service not start up as _soon_ as possible?
Is it not an issue at that point (i.e., the system is not vunerable)?
Or is it simply not _possible_ for the firewall to start at that point?

Considering the fact that it still takes about 5 minutes between entering
my username and password, and actually being able to _use_ the Windows
environment (e.g., launch Mozilla Mail or Putty), am I vulnerable while
waiting for McAfee to take its sweet time to start up?
I've had the same problem with Norton Anit-virus scans. I want it to scan when I'm not at work but that means I have to lock my station, if I log out it won't run until I log back in. Utterly useless. My best guess is that these software components are not services, and therefore can't run without a user logged in.

Alex