On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 16:37, Troy Arnold <troy-...@zenux.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 05:39:17PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>> So I've got a T-Mobile 3G MyTouch Slide (an HTC phone w/ Google & HTC
>> Sense stuff preinstalled).
>>
>> It's almost perpetually telling me it's almost out of space (internal
>> storage). If I tap that warning in the notifications, it launches "Manage
>> applications", which allows me to sort by storage use.
>>
>> By far the largest is "Contacts," at over 60MB. I think this is because
>> my overzealous acceptance of its offers to link up contacts between apps.
>> (E.g., I can tie a phone contact to their Facebook contact info & photo)
>>
>> Unfortunately, I don't really know what I can do to reduce how much space
>> this behemoth uses, without deleting contacts...
>>
>> Has anyone out here had a similar situation, and if so, any clues on how
>> to reduce Contacts' storage use?
>
> Wow. That seems like an atrocious amount of storage for contacts. If your
> contact app has the capability to import/export to .vcf, try that.  I
> wonder if such a cycle might clean up deleted but un-reclaimed space in the
> contacts db.  You could also explore the exported .vcf file and see if you
> can determine where the bloat is.  Is is dumb enough to store a multi-mB
> photo for a contact maybe?
>
> As a point of reference, my ~90 item android (2.1) contact list exports to
> < 1MB.
>

> -t

I agree.  I export my 390 contacts from JPilot to a vcf file (246.1KB)
and then import to my Nexus One, which yields 2.17MB in
"Contact Storage".  I suggest that you delete the contacts in your
Android device and then carefully select which sources you would
like to sync with  -  in "Accounts & sync settings".

-rich