Were you able to get this compiled and installed properly?  I figured out my problem from yesterday, but not the solution.  The reason that I was able to load the module the first time was because my Soekris was running on a test kernel that I had compiled.  Frankly, I'm not sure what was different, but it worked somehow.  (Even though there were other things in that kernel that were messed up and I won't be using it.)

I think the problem is in my compile/test environment.  I have a debian box set up for compiling and testing on but everytime I try to compile this macphy driver and then copy it over to the Soekris board, it won't work.  It says that it "disagrees about verision of symbol struct_module".  I'm assuming that that is because I compiled it on one machine that's slightly different from my working environment.

Do you have any plans for putting up instructions on how to set up a proper test environment?  I saw something on the wiki, but no content yet.

Thanks for all that you do!

On 9/21/05, Punky Tse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I downloaded the driver and there is no kernel patch.  I looks like I
need to build it manually and copy/overlay the kernel module over the
distro...

Joe Nelson wrote:

> Well, I've spent a good deal of time testing a lot of different things
> so that I can get VLANs working the way that I want on my Soekris
> net4501.  By default, these boards usually use the natsemi driver for
> the ethernet interfaces.  What I found out is that the stock natsemi
> driver included with the kernel does not support VLANs at all.
> However, National Semiconductor makes their own Linux driver called
> macphy that does support VLANs.  This driver can be downloaded from
> http://www.national.com/appinfo/networks/macphyter2.html.  I compiled
> and installed this driver on my Soekris board and it works like a
> charm!  I'm very excited.
>
> My only problem now is that somehow I messed something up and now I
> can't load the driver anymore.  It says that it has an invalid
> format.  I did redo my Voyage system after the first time I got it
> working so I'm sure that in all the shuffling, I messed it up
> somehow.  Anyone have any clues as to where to look to solve that one?
>
> Also, if it's possible, it would be great if macphy were included in
> future Voyage releases as I'm sure others with National Semiconductor
> chips will want VLAN support.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Joe Nelson
> Air Wired
> http://www.airwired.net
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>Voyage-linux mailing list
> [email protected]
>http://list.voyage.hk/mailman/listinfo/voyage-linux
>
>


--
Regards,
Punky
P U N K N ! X  . c o m
Technology + Lifestyle
(http://www.punknix.com)

Voyage Linux
(http://www.voyage.hk/software/voyage.html)





--
Joe Nelson
Air Wired
http://www.airwired.net
_______________________________________________
Voyage-linux mailing list
[email protected]
http://list.voyage.hk/mailman/listinfo/voyage-linux

Reply via email to