From: "Kim-man 'Punky' TSE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:12:37
To: Jeff R. Allen<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Voyage-linux] Re: Size matters

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am not talking about the webgui itself, but we should also take its
dependent libraries into account as well.  If running webgui requires
apache, database backend, php/perl/python modules, php/perl/python
run-time and a lot external libraries like xml, xsdl, webdav, etc., this
against the approach of being small.

You can still install webmin, etc. on top of voyage, as long as the CF
could hold.

busybox is added because of  live-initramfs.  (being added by
debian-live in the build process - not yet figured out how to remove it)
wget is added because this is frequently used utility ( I use it to
download .deb kernel image and do "dpkg -i" for testing)

There is constraint that Voyage can't be smaller - its the package
dependency in Debian that I don't want to break.  Voyage is just trying
to be a smaller Debian.  Hence, you enjoy both having a smaller Debian
and thousands of installable Debian packages at the same time.

Regards,
Punky

--
Regards,
Punky

Voyage Solutions (http://solution.voyage.hk)
* Embedded Solutions and Systems
  - Mesh Networking, Captive Portal, IP Surveillance, VoIP/PBX
  - Network Engineering, Development Platform and Consultation