On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 07:39 -0400, Nick L. wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 11:55 PM, James Boulton
> <james.boul...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have had success using the current Voyage MPD with a Creative Sound
> > Blaster Premium HD USB2 sound card. See
> > (http://asia.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=875&product=19829&nav=1&listby=usage)
> >
> > The card just works.
> > cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
> > access: RW_INTERLEAVED
> > format: S24_LE
> > subformat: STD
> > channels: 2
> > rate: 96000 (96000/1)
> > period_size: 12000
> > buffer_size: 48000
> >
> > My setup is a old HP laptop (with broken screen) booting Voyage MPD from
> > a USB thumb drive. I replaced the switchmode power supply with a linear
> > supply to get rid of the switching noise. Set most of the peripherals to
> > off in the BIOS to get about 18 Watts power usage. I use FreeNAS to
> > store the music on and mount to Voyage MPD with cifs. I would like to
> > use NFS but am getting timeout errors.
>
> I'm glad the device is working. How are you trying to use NFS?

Hi Nick,

I think the problem is with FreeNAS and its portmap implementation. I am
waiting for a new release of FreeNAS to see if it fixes the problem. I
mount the music stored on the FreeNAS box via /etc/fstab. Interestingly
VoyageMPD seems to have problems with high bit rate flac files
( 192K/24bit ) over cifs. There is a pause in the sound every second or
so. The same server/directory mounted to fedora15 doesn't have the same
issue. I wonder if there is some buffering parameters with cifs that I
can experiment with. This is why I'm keen to get nfs working.

James