You forgot to backup the MBR (Master Boot Record).  You have a couple
of choices.  If you mount the partition in Ubuntu you could chroot
into the mount point and then update-grub should fix the MBR.  If the
original CF still has a valid MBR you could just dd it across.

Example:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/path/to/mbr.backup.img count=1 bs=446
then:
dd if=/path/to/mbr.backup.img of=/dev/sdb count=1 bs=446

Of course replace /dev/sda and /dev/sdb with the appropriate device
names.  Also note that you are using the device, not a particular
partition like /dev/sdb1

Hth,