Hi Beat,

Why not just remove bash-completion?

Regards,
Punky

On 7/12/2011 11:26 AM, Beat Meier wrote:
Hello

The problem of slow ssh login on voyage-0.7.0 (0.6.X and 0.7.5 maybe too) is a
problem of sourcing environment at login.
/etc/profile will source everything in /etc/profile.d which ends with .sh
and this is bash_completion.sh and this will source
/etc/bash_completion
which is the problem of the login delay!!
In my case (wrap2c) it takes 9sec!! until you get the prompt!!!
I have several nagios plugins which login with ssh and this did timeout because
of that!!

The /etc/bash_completion will source all files in /etc/bash_completion.d and
before that a list
and this stuff is the most time consuming job of the script
If you disable the loading of all this scripts in /etc/bash_completion.d
(line1583-1623) you will go to about 2sec delay
If you disable the whole stuff loading from /etc/profile.d in /etc/profile ssh
login will have no notable delay.

So if you really want to use ssh login on wrap with new voyage (debian)
versions you should do the following
in /etc/profile (command completion does still work, this is what i really need, other stuff like mac host etc. I don't care about)

Comment the last block:

#if [ -d /etc/profile.d ]; then
#  for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh; do
#    if [ -r $i ]; then
#      . $i
#    fi
#  done
#  unset i
#fi

Hope this help other people....

A solution to include in voyage distro could be:
Define in /etc/default/voyage-util

------ CUT HERE ------
### If enabled /etc/profile will not source the stuff in /etc/profile.d
#VOYAGE_SSH_PROF_PATCH="YES"
------ CUT HERE ------

and change /etc/profile to

------ CUT HERE ------
. /etc/default/voyage-util
if [ -z "$VOYAGE_SSH_PROF_PATCH" ]; then
  if [ -d /etc/profile.d ]; then
    for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh; do
      if [ -r $i ]; then
        . $i
      fi
    done
    unset i
  fi
fi
------ CUT HERE ------

Was tested and should work...
Punky what do you think?

Greetings

Beat

Regards,
Kim-man "Punky" Tse

* Open Source Embedded Solutions and Systems
  - Voyage Linux (http://linux.voyage.hk)
  - Voyage ONE   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-one)
  - Voyage MPD   (http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd)
* Voyage Store   (http://store.voyage.hk)