Hi

I have installed Voyage MPD on an old  FICpc.  It runs well apart from a
very annoying problem:-

The FICpc has an internal CS5535 sound chip, which CANNOT be disabled in the
BIOS

I am using a Music Streamer II+ DAC,   and require MPD to connect to the
DAC.

On boot, the FICpc randomly  changes the order and numbering of the devices
thus:-

root@voyage:~# aplay -l
card 0: Audio [CS5535 Audio], device 0: CS5535 Audio [CS5535 Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: II [Music Streamer II+], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

OR

root@voyage:~# aplay -l
card 0: II [Music Streamer II+], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Audio [CS5535 Audio], device 0: CS5535 Audio [CS5535 Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

This of course screws up the MPD conf:-

audio_output {
        type            "alsa"
        name            "My ALSA Device"
        device          "plughw:0,0"    # optional
#       format          "44100:16:2"    # optional
#       mixer_device    "default"       # optional
#       mixer_control   "PCM"           # optional

This problem is known and there are lots of suggested ways to fix it in the
ALSA wikis, using alsa-base.conf or asound.conf to control the card numbers.

Unfortunately none of the suggested fixes work, the card numbers still
randomly switch.  (I have a feeling that V3.0 kernel takes different
parameters to those suggested in the wikis)

I finally found a post from someone who appears to have had the sane issues,
and he has a very, very, complicated method of fixing using udev rules.

My question is :-  Has anyone a simple way of locking the  assigned card
numbers at boot, on creating a mpf.conf file that will select the usb dac
whatever its card number?

Your help will be much appreciated.

regards

Patrick