All that apt-get clean does is to remove the downloaded .deb files stored
in /var/cache/apt/archives
apt-get clean will not break your running system as it does not install or
remove packages.  The next time you use apt, it will download whatever
packages it needs.

You can also manually force an install of a downloaded .deb that is in here
(something like dpkg -i --force-all
/var/cache/apt/archives/some-package-and-version-number.deb)