I had the same problem on a Soekris box when I enabled traffic shaping.
 The problem went away when I moved the CF card to faster hardware.

Do you have the wondershaper.sh/wshaper script or some manual rules for tc
set?

You can see what you have set with the following, where $DEV is an ethernet
device (eth0, eth1, wlan0, ath0 etc.);
tc -s -d qdisc show
tc -s -d class show dev $DEV

Hth,