I agree, it is not difficult to add the driver to the kernel. I tried the
hiFace 1 driver in three distributions so far:
- on the generic distribution (ubuntu), it compiles easily and works fine,
actually the sound is great when coupled with mpd
- on embedded distributions (voyage-mpd, Synology DSM 4.0), it is a bit
complex to compiles but it does not work yet (even with plughw)
I have to ask the author of the driver at the end of this week.

As for the USB numbering, an alternative is to use the alias "hiFace" for
the card, which is independent of the numbering, for example "hw:hiFace" or
"plughw:hiFace" (when possible, I prefer the former). You can see this
alias with "aplay -L" (capital L).

Cheers
-Roberto

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 5:33 AM, Demian Martin <dem...@auraliti.com> wrote:

> There are two hurdles to getting a new sound device working in Linux. The
> first is the driver. I followed the link and figured out how to patch it
> into the Kernel I'm using and get it to compile successfully. It would be
> great to have the author submit it to Alsa and get it into the Kernel. I
> find these isolated drivers a pain to maintain. The second is getting the
> interface talking correctly. My suggestions follow.
>
> I'll have a HiFace here in a day to try but from the notes posted I would
> suggest you use this to test:
> aplay -v -D plughw:0,0 file.wav   # the "plughw" tells alsa to reformat to
> match the device.
>
> New versions of mpd (16 and above) will format to 24 bit internally, but I
> use this for USB and it seems to always work. If not change it to plughw
> and
> try.
>
> audio_output {
>        type          "alsa"
>        name          "USB"
>        device        "hw:1"     # optional
>         mixer_device    "none"          # optional
> #       mixer_device  "hw:1"        # optional
> #       mixer_control "PCM"         # optional
> #       mixer_index   "0"           # optional
> }
>
> There is a way to restrict usb audio devices to enumerate to device 1 and
> up. I have forgotten how I did it.
>              Demian

Roberto Grossi, Dipartimento di Informatica, Università di Pisa
Largo Bruno Pontecorvo 3, 56127 Pisa, Italy
http://www.di.unipi.it/~grossi, tel (+39)0502212793, fax (+39)0502212726