Hi Tom

it seems that left and right channels are disabled in alsamixer.

Front Left: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [off]
  Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [off]

Type alsamixer in the command line, then move over the channels with arrows an enable them (as far as I remember, using M key). There should be a 00 under each channel.

Hope this help

Ciao
Bruno