Here's what i did to fix this:
- modified /etc/init.d/voyage-sync to remove /var/tmp and /var/log from
directories that are always synced
- added 'var' as sync directory in /etc/default/voyage-util
- moved /var/cache to /rovar/cache and /var/lib to /rovar/lib since these
directories are large and i don't need them writeable.
- created symbolic links : ln -s /rovar/cache /var/cache,  ln -s /rovar/lib
/var/lib

I still had an issue where it was writing over my symlink.  This turned out
to be some stuff in the /ro folder that was overwriting on startup. I
deleted the contents of the ro folder.

Now everything works great and my var folder syncs.

Matt