Good people;

This morning I decided to chase down and fix the errors I get regarding
locales on voyage.

This is the classic example of a problem with a lot of heat but not much
light.  Anyway, after reading a lot of different posts on the topic,
including a sequence on this list in January past, I solved the problem.

First, the system must be writeable, so

remountrw

Then, I had to install the full locales package

apt-get install locales-all

Then I tried to reconfigure but with out a /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED file
that didn't work, so I did this:

echo en_CA.UTF-8 > /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED
dpkg-reconfigure locales

That worked! no more LC_* error messages from anything.  Finally, since I
did not need a full set of locales, I did this:

apt-get install localepurge
localepurge

And made the system read only

remountro

That's it!  I hope this helps others on this list...
--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.