The issue with the 16.04 Ubuntu image is fixed now (but we may require some
additional actions which I'll send to Vanessa to in case this issue comes up
again). We fixed this issue tonight by rebuilding ubuntu1604 and deploying the
new image.

I'm going to close this ticket as resolved and we'll take the additional task
to find a way to ensure this doesn't appear again off of this ticket.

If you're not interested in the detailed analysis you can stop reading now.

For those interested I suspect that the lock issue will appear again (although
I could be wrong). The reason I believe so is that our vm init script runs
"apt-get update" as an initialization step when the VM boots up at creation
time via this script [0]. Ed mentioned that we didn't see this in the past and
it only started appear again recently as we deployed another patch to disable
Ubuntu's unattended updates.

I believe a possible reason we will see this issue appear again due to [0] is
because of we switched from using JClouds to OpenStack Jenkins plugins for node
spinnup and there's difference in how the init-script is executed depending on
which plugin is being used.

JClouds Plugin:

1) boot vm
2) wait for ssh access
3) copies init-script into vm via ssh
4) executes init-script, and doesn't continue processing until script is
complete
5) once init-script is complete, passes vm over to job and job starts

OpenStack Plugin:

1) boot vm and passes init-script in as User Data
2) init-script runs inside vm without Jenkins intervention, thus is a
non-blocking function
3) in parallel jenkins waits for ssh access to vm
4) ssh's into vm and passes vm over to job and job starts running

In the OpenStack plugin case step 4 can execute while step 2 is still running
apt-get update in the background because it was a non-blocking function.

A few ideas I have to get around this.

a) Allow init-script to continue running apt-get update however have a shell
script at the start of Ubuntu jobs that waits for the lock to get released
before allowing the job to start

b) Remove apt-get update from init-script and make the job run apt-get update
at the beginning of it's execution

c) Regularly update VMs to ensure that apt-get update always runs quickly

 Regards,
Thanh

[0] https://git.fd.io/ci-management/tree/jenkins-scripts/basic_settings.sh#n14

On Thu Jan 19 19:23:59 2017, hagbard wrote:
> FYI... helpdesk is on it, and its being worked in #fdio-infra on IRC
>
> Ed
>
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Ed Warnicke <hagb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Looping in help desk.
> > On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 4:16 PM Dave Barach (dbarach) <dbar...@cisco.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Folks,
> >>

> >> See https://jenkins.fd.io/job/vpp-verify-master-ubuntu1604/3378/console
> >>

> >> 11:00:46 E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource
> >> temporarily unavailable)
> >>
> >> 11:00:46 E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/),
> >> is another process using it?
> >>

> >> I recognize this failure from my own Ubuntu 16.04 system: a cron-job
> >> starts “apt-get -q”, which for whatever reason does not terminate. As a
> >> workaround, “sudo killall apt-get || true” before trying to acquire build
> >> dependencies...
> >>

> >> HTH... Dave

  • [vpp-dev] Ver... Dave Barach (dbarach)
    • Re: [vpp... Ed Warnicke
      • Re: ... Ed Warnicke
        • ... Ed Warnicke via RT
          • ... Ed Warnicke
            • ... Ed Warnicke via RT
        • ... Thanh Ha via RT
          • ... Dave Wallace
            • ... Klement Sekera -X (ksekera - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)
              • ... Dave Wallace
            • ... Thanh Ha
              • ... Ed Warnicke
                • ... Thanh Ha