Just for fun, I tried it -- downloaded the git repo for git, then did
"make" then "make install" then ~/bin/git clone https://yadayadayada/vpp.git";
and it worked AOK here. git version 2.12.0.rc1. ~/bin comes first in my
PATH, but I didn't go overboard to be 100% certain that that git could not
find some sub program from the version I normally use.

Burt