OK, thanks Damjan and Billy. It turns out that my problem was more
fundamental. I have a bad vpp binary, as I built on an AMD processor, so
the binary complains that the CPU does not have SSE4.2 extensions.

Unfortunately when I "sudo service vpp start" there are no messages on the
screen, so I assumed things were AOK at that point. I have to either look
in /var/log/messages.log or issue "vpp" directly on the command line to see
the errors. I wonder if it is possible to have user friendly error messages
appear directly on screen when issuing "sudo service vpp start". Also I'll
have to troubleshoot to see if there is a workaround for the SSE4.2 issue,
unless somebody knows about AMD Phenom ii processors.

Burt
ps, in the past I used to just build code on a laptop and never tried
running it:-)