+csit-dev

Eric,

The way we test vpp vhostuser in CSIT is by generating packet streams
from external traffic generator per VM topology shown at this link:

https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1701/report/vpp_performance_tests/overview.html#tested-physical-topologies

VM vhostuser testing methodology is described here:

https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1701/report/vpp_performance_tests/overview.html#methodology-kvm-vm-vhost
    https://wiki.fd.io/view/CSIT/csit-perf-env-tuning-ubuntu1604

Reported measured non-drop-rate throughput, on machines in FD.io labs,
is at the level of 3Mpps for 64B and and 1.3Mpps/16Hbps for 1518B
Ethernet frames, for VPP data plane thread (worker thread) running on a
single physical core.

Note that this is an external throughput i.e. from traffic generator
perspective. To get the actual VPP pkt forwarding capacity, numbers need
to be multiplied by two, as each packet is switched by VPP twice in each
direction: NIC-to-VM and VM-to-NIC.

Here pointers to throughput graphs and detailed results listings:

https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1701/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/vm_vhost.html#ndr-throughput

https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1701/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/vm_vhost.html#pdr-throughput

https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1701/report/detailed_test_results/vpp_performance_results/vpp_performance_results.html#vm-vhost-connections

In case relevant, FD.io CSIT performance test environment is described here:

https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1701/report/vpp_performance_tests/test_environment.html

For VM tests, Qemu is configured with tso4 and tso6 off:

    https://git.fd.io/csit/tree/resources/libraries/python/QemuUtils.py

hth

-Maciek