From: Pierre Pfister (ppfister) [mailto:ppfis...@cisco.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 4:11 PM
To: Ni, Hongjun <hongjun...@intel.com>
Cc: Zhou, Danny <danny.z...@intel.com>; Ed Warnicke <hagb...@gmail.com>; Li,
Johnson <johnson...@intel.com>; vpp-dev@lists.fd.io
Subject: Re: [vpp-dev] Requirement on Load Balancer plugin for VPP

Le 25 avr. 2017 à 09:52, Ni, Hongjun
<hongjun...@intel.com<mailto:hongjun...@intel.com>> a écrit :

Hi Pierre,

For LB distribution case, I think we could assign a node IP for each LB box.
When received packets from client, LB will do both SNAT and DNAT. i.e. source
IP -> LB’s Node IP, destination IP -> AS’s IP.
When returned packets from AS, LB also do both DNAT and SNAT. i.e. source IP ->
AS’s IP, destination IP -> Client’s IP.

I see.
Doing so you completely hide the client's source address from the application.
You also require per-connexion binding at the load balancer (MagLev does
per-connexion binding, but in a way which allows for hash collisions, because
it is not a big deal if two flows use the same entry in the hash table. This
allows for smaller and fixed size hash table, which also provides a performance
advantage to MagLev).

In my humble opinion, using SNAT+DNAT is a terribly bad idea, so I would advise
you to reconsider finding a way to either:
- Enable any type of packet tunneling protocol in your ASs (IPinIP, L2TP,
whatever-other-protocol, and extend VPP's LB plugin with the one you pick).
- Put some box closer to the ASs (bump in the wire) for decap.
- If your routers support MPLS, you could also use it as encap.

If you really want to use SNAT+DNAT (god forbid), and are willing to suffer (or
somehow like suffering), you may try to:
- Use VPP's SNAT on the client-facing interface. The SNAT will just change
clients source addresses to one of LB's source addresses.
- Extend VPP's LB plugin to support DNAT "encap".
- Extend VPP's LB plugin to support return traffic and stateless SNAT base on
LB flow table (And find a way to make that work on multiple cores...).
The client->AS traffic, in VPP, would do ---> client-facing-iface --> SNAT -->
LB(DNAT) --> AS-facing-iface
The AS->client traffic, in VPP, would do ---> AS-facing-iface --> LB(Stateless
SNAT) --> SNAT Plugin (doing DNAT-back) --> client-facing-iface

Now the choice is all yours.
But I will have warned you.

Cheers,

- Pierre