On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 6:21 PM, Jon Loeliger <j...@netgate.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 2:00 AM,  <otr...@employees.org> wrote:
> > Hi Jon,
>
> Hi Ole,
>
> > Thanks for the poetry! ;-)
>
> Most welcome.
>
> > This is me in 01384fe
> > Apologies for that. Next time I see you let me bring both band aid and
> whiskey.
>
> Apology accepted!
>
> > To my excuse, there has been this list of "broken" APIs maintained by the
> > Python and Java language binding implementors.
>
> See?  Java is bad for you. :-)
>
> > It's been on the todo list for a long time and I finally found some time
> > deal with them. Obviously not everyone was aware of those planned
> > changes. I did include those I thought affected as code reviewers. #fail.
>
> It's OK, really.  I've been making a pretty systematic march
> through many of the VPP API areas, so there's no telling what
> or where I'll be poking next... :-)
>
> > I feel your pain. How can we make this better?
> > 1) Never change APIs, regardless the reason
> > 2) Announce and discuss changes a priori. Separate mailing list for
> > API changes?
> >     {vpp-users, vpp-api-announce}
> > 3) ...
>
> This is a really good question.  I confess it is also a difficult one.
> We certainly can't abide by 1) Never change APIs.  That is just not
> a realistic approach.
>
> I follow the vpp-dev list pretty regularly these days, and I try
> to watch the upcoming Gerrit patches and reviews.  And I try
> to keep our VPP repo up-to-date WRT the fd.io Git repo; I pull
> maybe every couple days or so.
>
> So for me, I am willing to suffer a bit of tip-of-tree development
> pain and angst.  Even fixing this API call removal wasn't that
> difficult for our code.
>
> I think the thing that was most troubling for me was getting it
> pretty much without warning.  So I think at the very least, it
> would be good to make a statement on the vpp-dev list.
>
> But when?  Certainly it would be nice if it were in advance of
> the patch being committed.  I realize that may not always be
> possible.  But some indication on the list as it is being committed
> would also be nice.  Maybe even some indication from the patch
> author on list like "Hey, I have a patch in review that removes
> *this* API call.  If you are using it you will need to change your
> code like _this_."
>
> The process of adding API calls, and even changing an existing
> one is easier, of course.  But still, some advance notice would
> be appreciated.
>
> How hard would it be to have a Jenkins nightly build job that
> diff'ed yesterday's complete API list versus today's list and
> generated sent that diff mail?  Dunno.  Just an idea.

In the OpenDaylight community we have something called the "Weather" page
on the wiki [0], where information about potentially disruptive patches is
posted, then the link posted on one of the mailing list with "[WEATHER]" in
the subject so that it stands out and can be filtered. I would say it
worked reasonably well for us, maybe it's worth a try?

Then again, this approach was useful because we have many different
projects and tons of mailing lists, FD.io being more focused it may be
overkill.

HTH,
-Lori

[0] https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Weather