Dear Ole,

In order to avoid problems with vagrant, I installed VPP on ubuntu server
16.04.

I start vpp with the command! $ sudo vpp unix interactive.

After configuring correctly the interface I do $ set punt udp 1111 in order
to accept UDP traffic on the port 1111.

When I send 1 UDP packet I see the following trace:

"

vpp# show trace

------------------- Start of thread 0 vpp_main -------------------

Packet 1

00:00:49:978247: dpdk-input

  GigabitEthernet0/9/0 rx queue 0

  buffer 0x4db5: current data 14, length 46, free-list 0, clone-count 0,
totlen-nifb 0, trace 0x0

  PKT MBUF: port 0, nb_segs 1, pkt_len 60

    buf_len 2176, data_len 60, ol_flags 0x0, data_off 128, phys_addr
0x8ec36d80

    packet_type 0x0

  IP4: 08:00:27:42:3e:65 -> 08:00:27:93:9a:be

  UDP: 172.28.128.6 -> 172.28.128.5

    tos 0x00, ttl 64, length 35, checksum 0x49dc

    fragment id 0x98a9, flags DONT_FRAGMENT

  UDP: 47743 -> 1111

    length 15, checksum 0x8a50

00:00:49:978287: ip4-input

  UDP: 172.28.128.6 -> 172.28.128.5

    tos 0x00, ttl 64, length 35, checksum 0x49dc

    fragment id 0x98a9, flags DONT_FRAGMENT

  UDP: 47743 -> 1111

    length 15, checksum 0x8a50

00:00:49:978292: ip4-lookup

  fib 0 dpo-idx 6 flow hash: 0x00000000

  UDP: 172.28.128.6 -> 172.28.128.5

    tos 0x00, ttl 64, length 35, checksum 0x49dc

    fragment id 0x98a9, flags DONT_FRAGMENT

  UDP: 47743 -> 1111

    length 15, checksum 0x8a50

00:00:49:978297: ip4-local

    UDP: 172.28.128.6 -> 172.28.128.5

      tos 0x00, ttl 64, length 35, checksum 0x49dc

      fragment id 0x98a9, flags DONT_FRAGMENT

    UDP: 47743 -> 1111

      length 15, checksum 0x8a50

00:00:49:978299: ip4-udp-lookup

  UDP: src-port 47743 dst-port 1111

00:00:49:978302: error-punt

  ip4-udp-punt: udp port punt
"

which to me looks like the UDP traffic has been correctly received.

My goal is to modify your code, which is at $TOPDIR/vpp/src/vnet/ip/punt.c,
in order to start and understand how to deploy new code with VPP.

I inserted several clib_warning("I am here") in the code. Then I run
$TOPDIR/vpp make build-release to compile the new code. However, even if I
am pretty sure the your code runs because of the trace above, I cannot see
any output in /var/log/syslog as suggested by Chris nor in the console (I
run with unix interactive).

Do you have any idea why I cannot see any message in the log and/or how I
can modify/debug your code with some prints and look at them somewhere?

Thanks for the help.

Best regards,
Alessio