I have no problem building and running VPP using openSUSE and VirtualBox. I
created a network interface and it shows as down after I start openSUSE.
And after I start VPP, "show int" shows the interface.

I can likewise create an e1000 interface [VMWare doesn't tell me it is
e1000, but the kernel does] on VMWare. It is down with no addresses when I
start CentOS. It has a PCI bus address.

One thing that is similar in both working and non-working environments: the
interface disappears from ifconfig -a after VPP starts running.

But this interface does not produce any messages from DPDK, and I get the 0
ports problem.

I don't know where to start trying to debug what DPDK is up to. Maybe
someone knows quickly what it is about VMWare Workstation that requires
extra TLC? Or how to debug? Even the build system is hairy in this DPDK
area.

Thanks.

Burt