> On 9 Jul 2017, at 07:31, Ehsan Shahrokhi <ehsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have two questions about stateful.
> First, why stateful implementation of NAT and ACL are independent? Was there
> any logic behind this? As it is expected that both ACL and NAT plugins use
> the same connection tracking code base or platform.

Why tie together two plugins with potentially very different use cases ?

> Second, Should we define an acl in both directions even if we are configuring
> stateful acl using "permit+reflect"? Or if I have a "permit+reflect" acl in
> one direction, can I expect the response packets to be also permitted?

The mental model of acl-plugin is small per-interface "firewall", independent
from other interfaces.

If you don't have an acl applied, then the packers are permitted.

>From this - if you want a firewall like behavior on an interface, you need
>permit+reflect in one direction, and deny in the other direction on that
>interface.

If you only have permit+reflect on one interface and no acl in the other
direction, it will still work by for a different reason.

--a