Hi Colin,

Your assumption was right. Most often than not, a binary API/CLI call results
in a vlib_worker_thread_barrier_sync because most handlers and cli are not mp
safe. As a consequence, vpp may experience packet loss.

One way around this issue, for binary APIs, is to make sure the handler you’re
interested in is thread safe and then mark it is_mp_safe in api_main. See, for
instance, VL_API_IP_ADD_DEL_ROUTE.

Hope this helps,
Florin