Andrew,

Having got some feedback from others, I don't think there is any one right way.

For bugs found in a stable branch, it makes sense to push the original patch there, then cherry pick to master and then identify if it makes sense to cherry pick it to any other branches. For bugs found in master (which is what I originally had in mind), going in the other direction makes more sense.

So I guess the best thing would be to ensure that the branch which the bug was found is included in the body of the comments section of the patch and what other branches require the fix -- or maybe this information belongs in Jira. The most important thing is to ensure master has all of the applicable patches in it.

Thanks,
-daw-