From: vpp-dev-boun...@lists.fd.io [mailto:vpp-dev-boun...@lists.fd.io] On
Behalf Of Ole Troan
Sent: 2 października 2017 14:37
To: vpp-dev <vpp-dev@lists.fd.io>
Subject: [vpp-dev] API versioning

All,

I have received a few suggestions that especially the dynamic language bindings
(Python, Lua) would benefit from a better versioning system than depending and
storing the CRC values of each VPP API message.

Could you please take a look at the proposal for semantic versioning of API
modules here:
https://wiki.fd.io/view/VPP/API_Versioning

Dave helped me with modifying the .api parser:
https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/8589/

This patch adds a new message "api_versions". That will return a dictionary of
API modules and their versions.

I have also added version 1.0.0 to all .api files. Please let me know if you
want a different version string. E.g. major == 0, if it is experimental and
expected to change.

Opinions?
(and yes, I know we can do better with additional support for backwards
compatibility... one baby step at the time. ;-))

Best regards,
Ole