Peter,

> Trying to configure Memif:
>

> vat# memif_dump
>
> Sending ping id=714
>
> memif0/0: sw_if_index 3 mac 02:fe:db:be:87:29
>
>    id 0 socket-id 0 role slave
>
>    ring_size 1 buffer_size 0
>
>    state down link down

If you also dump the memif socket table you should see
that socket-id 0 is the default socket filename.

Which means ...

> vat# memif_socket_filename_add_del add id 0 filename /tmp/memif
>
> Invalid socket idmemif_socket_filename_add_del error: Misc

.... you can neither create nor delete that socket-id 0.

> vat# memif_socket_filename_add_del add id 1 filename /tmp/memif
>
> memif_socket_filename_add_del error: Misc
>

> vat# memif_create id 0 socket-id 1 master
>
> memif_create error: Invalid argument

That might be an issue...  And it might be localized to VAT because:

vpp# create memif socket id 1 filename /tmp/foo.sock
vpp# show memif
sockets
  id  listener    filename
  0   no          /run/vpp/memif.sock
  1   no          /tmp/foo.sock

I'll peer at VAT unless John Lo beats me to it. :-)

jdl