Is it worth to use an assert (or similar) to validate the assumption in the debug build at least. Well at least until the compiler bugs get's sorted?

Ray K

On 26/04/2018 17:08, Dave Barach wrote:
Yes, it’s arguably a compiler bug.

But, it makes no sense to vec_validate_aligned(…), pool_get_aligned(…) etc. objects whose size is not a multiple of the alignment request. Only the first element will be aligned to the specified boundary.

__attribute__((aligned(xxx))) is not the same thing as ensuring that objects are _sized_ correctly.

D.

*From:*vpp-dev@lists.fd.io <vpp-dev@lists.fd.io> *On Behalf Of *Radu Nicolau
*Sent:* Thursday, April 26, 2018 4:54 AM
*To:* Florin Coras <fcoras.li...@gmail.com>
*Cc:* vpp-dev@lists.fd.io
*Subject:* Re: [vpp-dev] segfault due to movaps unaligned access

Hi Florin,

Thanks! The patch fixes the issue.

Any idea why is it happening?

Regards,

Radu

*From:*vpp-dev@lists.fd.io <mailto:vpp-dev@lists.fd.io> [mailto:vpp-dev@lists.fd.io] *On Behalf Of *Florin Coras
*Sent:* Tuesday, April 24, 2018 11:25 PM
*To:* Nicolau, Radu <radu.nico...@intel.com <mailto:radu.nico...@intel.com>>
*Cc:* vpp-dev@lists.fd.io <mailto:vpp-dev@lists.fd.io>

Hi Radu,

Making the crypto_worker_main_t a full cache line in size (see patch [1]) seems to solve the issue. Could you confirm?

Florin

[1] https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/12086/

    On Apr 24, 2018, at 9:23 AM, Radu Nicolau <radu.nico...@intel.com
    <mailto:radu.nico...@intel.com>> wrote:

    Hello all,

    We’re seeing a weird issue, that is a segfault that looks to be
    caused by a movaps instruction that is trying to access an address
    that is not 16 byte aligned.

    The call originates from a vec_validate_init_empty_aligned that has
    the argument aligned to 16 bytes.

    I have seen something like this in the past, we couldn’t find a root
    cause and considered it a GCC bug (version 5 then), but now it pops
    up again on version 7, so probably it isn’t.

    Any idea? A snapshot of the gdb screen below.

    gcc (Ubuntu 7.2.0-8ubuntu3.2) 7.2.0

    https://postimg.cc/image/9jy4p38at/

    thanks and I will appreciate any help,

    Radu