Depends on what do you expect from packet generator.

I personally map physical NIC VF into container and use them to feed packets in
from remote T-Rex box.
You can also use VPP packet-generator to play PCAP file or craft packets and
send them to memif interface, but I wold not expect great performance.
Latest option would be to use libmemif to write own packet-generator code.....

--
Damjan