You might consider sending e-mail to the dpdk mailing list, or e.g. Ray
Kinsella @ Intel. Pretty clearly a [dpdk] driver / HW issue.

From: vpp-dev@lists.fd.io <vpp-dev@lists.fd.io> On Behalf Of j...@yeager1.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 6:46 PM
To: vpp-dev@lists.fd.io
Subject: Re: [vpp-dev] Performance and CLI response degradation with inactive
port

Quick update on this: it only needs to have a fiber cable plugged into the SFP
for it to react normally. It doesn't matter that the other end of the cable be
connected to anything at all, just that something is present in the SFP. This
isn't a failure scenario I'm terribly concerned about and this seems to be more
a reaction of the NIC then of VPP. Still, if anyone has any idea what is going
on here I'd love to know because this isn't something I expected.