Thanks Damjan !
Just to be sure, when I use the device-input feature arc thus --

VNET_FEATURE_INIT (myfeature, static) =
    {
      .arc_name = "device-input",
      .node_name = "mynode",
      .runs_before = VNET_FEATURES ("ethernet-input"),
    };

I get to see only the non-IP packets inside mynode, is that correct ?
I do get your point about sub-interfacing and that is fine.

Do the IPv4 and IPv6 packets go directly from dpdk-input to ip4-input
and ip6-input, just to be sure ?

I also see a wiki link
https://wiki.fd.io/view/VPP/Feature_Arcs

It is mentioned there how to setup the next0 in mynode. I suppose
doing a call to vnet_feature_next is a shortcut. Perhaps the wiki can
mention that I think.

Regards
-Prashant

Regards