Yes, it should be easy to cherry-pick into any release where it's needed.
HTH... Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Prashant Upadhyaya <praupadhy...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2018 3:05 PM
To: Dave Barach (dbarach) <dbar...@cisco.com>
Cc: vpp-dev@lists.fd.io
Subject: Re: [vpp-dev] Regarding communication from main thread to worker
threads

Thanks Dave !
I could figure out the vm->worker_thread_main_loop_callback with your hint.
It seems to be a newer feature, but looks to be quite easily back portable to
older releases as well -- introduce the field and call it from the main loop.

So I could setup a piece of memory as the request message and reply message,
set the request message in my main thread, point the callback of vm[i] to the
desired function to be called in the worker, the worker does what it has to do
and sets up the reply message and nulls out the callback, the main thread can
poll for the reply to arrive with a field there and voila !

Many thanks for adding this feature !

Regards
-Prashant